One of Taiwan's most renowned temples dedicated to Nezha, the Taizi Temple in Tainan's Xinying District was established in the 27th year of Emperor Kangxi's reign in the Qing era (1688 CE) when settlers brought a statue of Zhongtan Yuanshuai (Marshal of the Central Altar, another name for Nezha) to Taiwan from their hometown. At first, a straw hut was built to enshrine the statue, but it was upgraded to a brick temple as the worship of Nezha became more prevalent. The temple was moved to its current location in the 9th year of Guangxu Emperor's reign in the Qing era (1883 CE). The old temple was preserved after a new temple was built behind it in 1980 CE. Though far from large in size, the jiannian (artistic figures created from gluing together broken pieces of ceramics and glass) and wood sculptures inside are all exquisite masterpieces. The pebbledash stone columns of the baiting (worship pavilion) and wooden sculptures of the shrine are some of the most renowned treasures in Taizi Temple, and the menshen (threshold guardians) on the front door were painted by famed artist Pan Li-shui (1914-1995 CE). The numerous plaques in the temple are inscribed with meanings like ""a life protected and guided by divine power"" and ""divine omnipresence""; they are the best witnesses to the faith and history of Taizi Temple.
A group photo of the old and new temples of the Taigong. The old temple buildings are kept at the temple side, and a new temple is built at the rear to allow the old and new temples to coexist.
One of the wing rooms on both sides of the Taiwogong was built during the reign of Emperor Guangxu of the Qing Dynasty (1875-1895) when it was newly built on the current site.
The Baiting stone pillars are washed with exquisite shears. The Baiting pillars are one of the characteristics of the temple. The couplets in the front are also presented in the form of washed stones.
The shrine railing cover of the main hall, this is one of the oldest wood carving works in the temple.
The "Blessing of Life" plaque is dedicated to the Taigong Temple completed during the Guangxu period of the Qing Dynasty, and is dedicated to the Pujidian Yung Chong Society of the Tainan Fucheng Quadrangle
The door god was drawn by the famous national treasure painting master Pan Lishui (1914-1995)
Baiting roof truss, two links, four melons and other bucket arches, all made of exquisite wood
The plaque "Its Prosperity" on the top of the pavilion is dedicated to the completion of the renovation during the Taisho period of the Ri Taisho period. You can learn about the prosperous footprints of the imperial palace.
There are many exquisite cutting and sticking works on the roof of the Baiting Pavilion.