Also known as Fuji Temple, the Mumahou Temple (""Temple of the Horse Master"") is located on the west side of Mount Fenglien in Kinmen's Anqian Village. First erected during Emperor Toghon Temür's reign in the late-Yuan era (circa 1336 CE), the temple's origins can be traced back to the Tang and Song eras. When wokou (pirates who raided the coastlines of China and Korea) raided Wuzhou (the ancient name for Kinmen), the spirit of Chen Yuan (dates of birth and death unknown) manifested and drove the pirates away. As a result, the imperial court decreed that a seven-bay-wide shrine should be built on Mount Fenglien in his honor, bestowing a plaque with the name ""Fuji"" (unwavering aid) and giving Chen Yuan the title of Fuyou Shenghou (Marquis of Blessed Protection). The shrine was renovated and rebuilt many times throughout history, but unfortunately, it collapsed at the end of the Ming era. It was rebuilt into the three-bay-wide structure we see today in the 23rd year of Daoguang Emperor's reign (1843 CE), and much of the building retains Qing-era characteristics. In addition to providing a space for people to practice their religion, Mount Fenglian's Mumahou Temple is also a haven that—since the past—has appeased people's spirit, bestowing blessings on those who venture to settle in a strange land. With its importance far exceeding the practical functions of a building, the temple also serves as a place to promote history and culture, and bears witness to the 1,200-year history of Kinmen's development.
The plaque of "Enze Wudao" in the temple
The plaque of "Mu Mahou Temple" on the gate of the temple, the inscription in the temple is different, it is worth exploring
There are dragon and tiger wells (patio) on both sides, which is different from the traditional temple pattern in Kinmen
The cut-and-stick art of the "right white tiger" on the gable
The art of cutting and sticking on the gable "Zuo Qinglong"
The main hall roof tube tiles, because they are heavier than the slab tiles, the sea breeze in Kinmen is strong, and the traditional buildings are mostly tube tiles.
Chen Yuan was given "Fuji" by the imperial court in the Yuan Dynasty, and there is also a "Fuji" plaque in the temple
In the first year of Xuantong of the Qing Dynasty (1909), "Donated inscriptions to turn over the Fangming stele", the words "Jiazheng" in the stele, guide the overseas Chinese who are successful in business
It was built in the 23rd year of Daoguang in the Qing Dynasty (1843), and was written by Zheng Yongxi (1788-1858), "Donated the title to regenerate the monument to the King of Enwang Temple"