Shuangzhong Temple is dedicated to Chang Hsun (709-757 CE) and Hsu Yuan (709-757 CE), two Tang loyalists that perished in the Battle of Suiyang during the An Lushan Rebellion in the Tang era. As a result, the temple is called ""Shuangzhong"" (loyal duo) and also known as Marshal Temple or Suiyang Temple. According to Annals of Chuluo County, Shuangzhong Temple was built in the 28th year of Emperor Kangxi's reign in the Qing era (1689 CE). It is thus hailed as the ""first temple of Tirosen"" (pronounced ""Chu-lô-san"" in Hokkien; historical name of Chiayi) because of its long history. The temple we see today was rebuilt by members of the local gentry in 1945. The main building layout consists of a three-bay-wide single structure. Statues of Chang Hsun and Hsu Yuan stand side by side at the altar of the main worship space. Among the deities enshrined in the temple, the most legendary is a divine horse. The architecture of Shuangzhong Temple is mainly notable for its ornamentation. The columns at the entrance are terrazzo dragon columns made by craftsman Lo Pao (dates of birth and death unknown), while the dragon and tiger reliefs to the left and right side of the entrance are crafted in Cochin ware by Lin Tien-mu (1912-1987 CE) and Chen Chuan-yu (1912-1982 CE), respectively.
In the Ming room of the main hall, a partition was installed between the rear two pillars to serve as a shrine for the gods.
Shuangzhong Temple is a single-fall building, and the structure of the building is a bucket type.
The Tiger Lord enshrined in Shuangzhong Temple, together with many gods, constitutes a group of gods in Shuangzhong Temple
The paper-paste horse enshrined in front of the wall on the right is said to have stolen agricultural work, so a fence was set up to enclose the horse.
The divine table in the 7th year of the Japanese occupation of Showa (1932) is even more precious after the baptism of years
Shuangzhong Temple worships Zhang Xun and Xu Yuan, and two statues of gods are enshrined in the shrine side by side
Luo Hai's dragon pillar made by grindstone method. Show off the master craftsman's skill in washing stones
The tiger block on the right was made by Chen Zhuanyou, and the facing wall at the front step was commissioned by different craftsmen to make Jiaozhi pottery, which is a characteristic of Shuangzhong Temple
The dragon block on the left was made by Lin Tianmu, and the opposite wall at the front step was commissioned by different craftsmen to make Jiaozhi pottery, which is a characteristic of Shuangzhong Temple