Yuli was once called 'paheko' (Amis language). During the period of Japanese rule, the colonial government opened the Batongguan Traversing Trail to strengthen their control over the indigenous Bunun people. Located near the start of the trail, Yuli Shrine was constructed with the permission of the Government-General in the 2nd year of Emperor Shōwa's reign (1927 CE). Built along the mountainous terrain, Yuli Shrine has a very clear layout of structures on the same axis from left to right. Starting from the entrances, these structures are: the first torii gate, a memorial stele, stairs, the second torii gate, stairs, chōzuya (ablution pavilion), haiden (worship hall), stairs, and the main hall. There are also stone lanterns along the main path. After World War II, the National Property Administration of the Ministry of Finance took over Yuli Shrine. The shrine was demolished by large machinery in 1973 and faded into the mountain forest until it was designated a monument in 2008. The Batongguan Traversing Trail Commemorative Stele outside of Yuli Shrine also demonstrates the specialness and importance of its geographical location.
A retaining wall made of cobblestones at the back of the main hall
The shrine was built along the ridge of the mountain
It was originally the concrete decoration under the lintel of the worship hall
So far, the worship hall and the hand-water house have been demolished, and only the base of the worship hall remains
The remnants of the main hall and worship hall. The worship hall is located in front of the main hall in the Japanese era. The worship hall is made of reinforced concrete, and the roof form is adopted as the mother house.
Rao Yongchang (1880-?) made important contributions to the development of Yuli. In the 38th year of Meiji (1905), Rao Yongchang took a boat to the sea off Hualien and decided to develop Fenglin instead of going south
On the Nitori gate cement pillar, indicate the unit and the year of payment
The approach road behind the Nitori gate was originally a slope, and a plank road was set up in the Republic of China in 1999 (2010)
The road after a torii gate. After World War II, military family members moved into and built private houses.