The Zhushan area was once called ""Shalianbao"" or ""Shuishalian"", so when Lianxing Temple—located in the bustling center of Zhushan Township—was rebuilt during Xianfeng Emperor's reign in the Qing era, it was given the name ""lianxing"", meaning ""prosperous Shuishalian"". Accounts differ regarding when the temple was first built, but we can be certain that it had already been established by Emperor Qianlong's reign. Lianxing Temple is the oldest Matzu temple in Nantou County and the center of faith for people of Zhushan and Lugu. The temple houses many ancient artifacts, such as a plaque reading ""blessings across the mountains and seas"" that was erected during the 41st year of Emperor Qianlong's reign in the Qing era (1776 CE); the ""Zheng Tang Ma Shi"" stone tablet (announcement by Ma Ming-piao—then Changhua Sub-Prefect—at the main hall) from the 43rd year of Emperor Qianlong's reign (1778 CE); and the Li Cheng-ching Proclamation Slab from the 4th year of Daoguang Emperor's reign (1824 CE). The front hall of the temple also enshrines statues of Matzu accompanied by Qianliyan and Shunfeng'er (guardians of Matzu temples) carved by Fuzhou artisans, as well as an over-300-year-old black-faced Matzu with movable limbs from the Sheliao area (settlement on the south banks of Zhuoshui River, northeast of Zhushan's downtown). Lianxing Temple's close ties to the history of Zhushan's development and culture also make it well worth preserving.
There are dragon pillars on the left and right of the eaves of the mountain gate. The dragon pillars are recorded by Lin Fengchi (1819-1867 AD).
Stone pillars at the cornice of the mountain gate and quaint footstones
Ancient plaque "Deb Mountain and Sea" at the head of the shrine
The longevity position includes Li Zhenqing and Hu Banghan in the Qing Dynasty, the two prefects of Changhua, who served as the abbot of Lianxing Palace, and Mr. Luo Jirui of the "Zhushan Volunteer Security Team"
The stone stele of "Main Hall of Horses" on the outer wall on the right wall
The monument to Li Zhenqing was erected on the right wall of the front hall in the 4th year of Daoguang in the Qing Dynasty (1824 AD)
Shunfeng ear statue made by Fuzhou craftsmen
Clairvoyance statue made by craftsmen in Fuzhou
Stone lions and their bases on both sides of the palace gate