The Tianhou Temple of Lukang is dedicated to Tianshang Shengmu (Heavenly Mother, more commonly known as Matzu) and is a renowned temple of the Matzu faith in Taiwan. To differentiate it from Xinzu Temple (New Matzu Temple), Lukang residents often refer to the Tianhou Temple in Lukang as the ""Old Matzu Temple"". The entire Lukang community frequents Lukang's Tianhou Temple, Dizangwang Temple, and Dajiangye Temple for worship. These temples therefore enjoy high status in terms of folk religion in the area. Lukang's Tianhou Temple and Longshan Temple were built at opposite ends of the developing Lukang settlement. The Tianhou Temple was built near the harbor facing west-northwest, with the temple entrance facing the Taiwan Strait, in the direction of the Matzu Temple in Meizhou. This is to protect ships that sail on the strait, and conveys the temple's connection with the origins of the Matzu faith. The layout of Lukang's Tianhou Temple consists of three main structures and two courtyards. The front gate, main hall, and verandas mostly retain the style from when the temple was rebuilt during the Shōwa era of the Japanese colonial period, while the rear hall was added in 1971. The exquisite and magnificent temple structure features carpentry, stone carvings, and murals by famous craftsmen. The temple also houses an abundance of historic artifacts, making it a true mecca of Taiwanese folk religion and folk art.
The Mingjian Shrine in the main hall was contracted by Wang Shufa and made by Quanzhou woodcarver Huang Lianji
The Bagua Zaojing in Sanchuan Hall was designed by the great carpenter Wang Shufa
On the second floor of the apse, the Ming room is dedicated to the Jade Emperor’s gods, and the long light above is dedicated to Gu Xianrong
Lukang Tianhou Temple draws public signatures from various industries every year, and the poems are published outside the Shunfenger Shrine
Lukang Tianhou Temple "Lu Wei Gong", the middle deity is "Da Tan Yue Lord Enjinshi, Wen Lin Lang Bing Ma Si Deputy Commander Shou Ning County Confucian Teachings and Taboos", the left deity is "Great Prime Minister Sixth Rank Military Meritorious Officer" Prince Zhang Wanchun's eternal life position", the right side of the gods is "the lotus seat of monks and masters of the palace"
A plaque hanging in the Ming Dynasty in the main hall was dedicated to the hereditary Jinghai Hou Shi Lang, the admiral of Fujian navy, in the 22nd year of Emperor Kangxi of the Qing Dynasty (1683)
Three Qing Dynasty imperial plaques hung above the Ming shrine in the main hall. They are Emperor Yongzheng's "Shen Zhaohai Watch", Emperor Qianlong's "Youji Zhaoling", and Emperor Guangxu's "Gong with Heaven"
Long Zhu comes from Jiang Wenshui, a master craftsman under Jiang Xin's school (birth and death year unknown)
The main hall building seen today was built in the 2nd year of Japanese occupation (1927), and the master carpenter was Wu Haitong