Located in Zhonggang, one of the earliest areas to develop in the region, Cihyu Temple was built with straw in Yanguanqian (southern area of Zhunan Township, Miaoli) by Hokkien immigrants from Zhangzhou. Initially erected as a simple shared place of worship for Hokkien and Cantonese immigrants, it was subsequently renovated into a palatial temple with clay walls and a tiled roof. In the 48th year of Emperor Qianlong's reign in the Qing era (1783 CE), the local community found the temple to be too small and suggested it be rebuilt by the south gate. Cihyu Temple is a seven-bay-wide heyuan (courtyard building) with three main structures, two hallways, and side wings on either side. The pair of green stone lions guarding the central entrance of the front hall are the temple's oldest stone sculptures, while the pair of stone panlong (coiled dragon) columns in the front hall are the only pair of Cihyu Temple's earliest dragon columns to survive to this day. Even after multiple renovations, the front hall, main hall, and hallways of the temple still retain their traditional timber-framed structure. There are noticeable differences between the ornamentation on the left and right sides of the front hall. These differences are evidence of duichang (competitive collaboration) construction by Zhangzhou craftsmen and Quanzhou craftsmen, who each constructed one side of the hall. Cihyu Temple's most notable architectural features also include the decorative stone reliefs on either side of the central entrance and doubao (support structures) between beams.
The biggest feature of the Ciyu Temple is the construction of the two parties in Zhangquan, with the central axis as the separation point. The carvings and construction methods on both sides have their own merits, which are different from the symmetrical construction of the central axis in general temples.
The ancient well "Jingjingquan", which is now preserved behind the Cihyu Temple in Zhonggang, is said to have been stationed in Ciyu Palace with troops led by Taiwan governor Liu Mingchuan (1836-1896) in the late Qing Dynasty. The people who excavated and drawn water for food and drink witnessed Cihyu Temple in Zhonggang.
A large number of stone carvings are used in the main decoration of Ciyu Temple in Zhonggang, including the main entrance and eaves decoration, eaves and pillars, and blue fighting stone lions. It is the earliest stone carving masterpiece of Ciyu Temple.
The clairvoyant general guarding the Zhonggang, patrolling the territory for Ma Zupo, with piercing eyes looking far away, is Ma Zupo’s right-hand man.
The plaques awarded by Emperor Tongzhi and Emperor Guangxu of the Qing Dynasty hang above the shrine of the main hall, telling the long history of Ciyu Temple
The main gods enshrined in Cihyu Temple in Zhonggang are the third mothers from Meizhou, and the soft aunts and second mothers in the town hall. The three mazus each perform their duties.
The main gate god, during the expansion and reconstruction in the 4th year of the Showa era (1918), the temple hired two masters from Zhangquan and Quan to work on the field. ) Constructed by different architects individually and completed by joint efforts
The blue fighting stone lion at the central gate of the main hall of Ciyu Temple (also known as Zhonggang) is the earliest stone sculpture of Ciyu Palace
The exterior walls of the houses in the square in front of the temple are painted with the annual ceremonies and activities of Ciyu Palace, which will reveal the local cultural characteristics.