At the start of the Japanese colonial period in the 29th year of the Meiji era (1896 CE), the local gentry in Yilan were distressed by the prospect of being ruled by the Japanese. They thus conducted a fuji (planchette writing) ritual at Xinmin Temple to consult the deities. The oracle obtained by the ritual read: ""promote loyalty and filial piety, influence people's hearts, and encourage good deeds; no need to return to the homeland"". As a result, local Jinshi (Imperial Scholar) Yang Shih-fang (1826-1903 CE) and other members of the local gentry began leading efforts to construct a new temple in the 29th year of the Meiji era (1896 CE). In the 32nd year of the Meiji era (1899 CE), the main hall of Bixia Temple was completed. It is one of the few temples in Taiwan dedicated to Yue Fei (1103-1142 CE). An ethics office and charity association were established in the temple to promote books that encourage good behavior, educate the community, and provide social welfare services such as healthcare, funeral services, scholarships, and emergency relief to this day. Bixia Temple operates on an apprenticeship system that has lasted, uninterrupted, for more than a century—a tradition that sets it apart from other temples in Taiwan. Every year, the temple hosts the ancient Three Consecrations Ritual and performance of the ceremonial Wu-yi Dance (martial dance) according to traditional protocol. Rare among other temples in Taiwan, these ceremonies promote ideals of loyalty, filial piety, integrity, and justice while preserving righteousness among the people.
Tianxia Mother Fan plaque and roof beams
A scene on the side of the temple: The wood in the temple is originally Fusgi, but it was changed to black stone wood when it was rebuilt in the 8th year of Taisho (1919), and there was no carving, and simplicity was the style.
The back of the palace: the gorgeous glazed tiles on the roof and the flying dragon clay sculpture on the ridge
The "Heaven and Earth Righteousness" plaque and the flying dragon clay sculpture on the ridge of the front hall
The plan of Bixia Palace is slightly "H", with the main hall and worship hall in the center. This is a panoramic view of the main hall
The front view outside the hall and the plaque "Heaven and Earth Righteousness"
Statue of "Mother-in-law Jiaozhong" outside the temple
The back side photo of the archway outside Bixia Palace and the plaque of King Yue Wumu