Built in the 4th year of the Shōwa era (Japanese colonial period; 1929 CE), the Presbyterian Church of Nanzih is situated in a well-trafficked area and is the earliest Presbyterian church building that remains in Kaohsiung today. The building has a neoclassical facade that combines modern architecture with elements of classical Greek, Roman, and Egyptian aesthetics. It is worth noting that the Presbyterian Church in Taiwan's symbol inscribed with the motto flagror non consumor—I am burned but not consumed—is surrounded by 16 stars and a row of beads instead of the typical 12 stars seen in other Presbyterian churches. The Presbyterian Church of Nanzih bears witness to the development of Presbyterianism in Kaohsiung over the past century, and preserves architectural styles and techniques of the Japanese colonial period, making it a precious cultural asset.
Kindergarten was established in Japan in Showa 2 (1927), and through childcare education, the spirit of Christ was passed on to children and parents
The internal auditorium of the chapel, after the renovation, the overall wooden atmosphere is matched with the original terrazzo floor, which looks simple and warm
The painted wall of Jesus and the child Hele outside the gate is very warm
There is a dedicated passage to enter the church, and the semi-circular arc shape frame at the top can keep out the wind and rain
The pastor’s pavilion designed by Elder Lai Qichang, the wavy slope and vertical lines of the roof and gable belong to the Art Deco style, resembling a crown, which is very distinctive
The western classical egg dart decoration method is adopted under the eaves, highlighting the exquisite and cumbersome workmanship of the building exterior
The porch of the church is designed to be two stories higher, with two columns and two semi-columns forming three compartments
The capital of the stigma is built in the Egyptian style commonly seen in the neoclassical style. There are double-layered protruding grooves on the upper and lower sides of the column, and the stigma of palm leaves symbolizes victory.
The 16-star Presbyterian Church "Burn without Destruction" sign, which is different from the 12-star arrangement of other churches