Located within Yongle Market and Shuixian Temple Market, Shuixian Temple is surrounded by vendor stalls. Its location was once Nanshi Harbor, the hub of the old Five Canals area. Enshrined here are the five water deities known as Shuixian Junwang, who were widely worshiped by shipping merchants in the Qing era. Back in the 6th year of Emperor Qianlong's reign in the Qing era (1741 CE), the sanjiao (organization made up by the three major guilds of Qing-era Tainan) established an office called Sanyi Hall within the temple to handle guild affairs. The once expansive Shuixian Temple had a front gate, baiting (worship pavilion), main hall, and rear hall, and was known as one of the must-visit ""seven Buddhist temples and eight Taoist shrines"" in Tainan. However, the temple underwent several renovations in the Qing era and the 6th year of the Taishō era (Japanese colonial period; 1917 CE). In the 16th year of the Shōwa era (Japanese colonial period; 1941 CE), the rear hall and central hall were removed. The remaining front gate was renovated once more in 1954 CE, forming the temple we see today. Shuixian Temple has a layout consisting in two central structures, with no hallway or courtyard between the front gate and main hall. The interior is an uninterrupted space with a single shrine for worship of one emperor, two kings, and two lords that form the Shuixian Junwang.
The "Shuixian Palace Qingjie Leshiji" inlaid on the temple wall records the construction scale of the Narcissus Palace in the 30th year of Qianlong in the Qing Dynasty (1765)
The stone drum at the middle door of Sanchuan Gate is simple in shape
Sanyitang is the name of the guild hall in the three suburbs, and the site is located in the Narcissus Palace
The front eave pillar of Sanchuan Gate is a dragon pillar carved in modern times
The central point of the main hall is the gold pillar frame, which adopts three links and four melons stacked buckets.
The Shuixian Temple is a two-falling building between the Sanchuan Gate and the main hall. Due to the deep depth, the interior presents a dark sense of space.
The King Narcissus in the town hall of the Shuixian Temple is the Emperor of Great Xia, so the Narcissus Palace is also known as the "Dayu Temple"
The shrine enshrines five narcissus kings, "one emperor, two kings, and two doctors"
Shuixian Temple of Tainan located within Yongle Market and Shuixian Temple Market