Fudeye Changqing Temple is dedicated to Fudeye, otherwise known as Fude Zhengshen or more commonly as Tudigong in folk religion. The worship of Fudeye shows just how much the Han Chinese relied on the land when they settled in the Guting area. Guting was a Quanzhou immigrant settlement in the Qing era. After World War II, some Hakka people also moved to the area. Today, Hokkien and Hakka people alike worship at Fudeye Changqing Temple, both ethnic groups having developed a devout faith in Fude Zhengshen. The earliest settlers erected a stone under a banyan tree as an altar. The tree is now protected by the Taipei City Government. As for when the temple was built, that knowledge has been lost to time. A stone slab entitled ""Names of Those that Donated for the Renovation of Changqing Temple"" erected in the 11th year of the Shōwa era (Japanese colonial period; 1936 CE) remains in the temple, proving that it is the year in which the main hall was built. In 1983, a baiting (worship pavilion), a bell and drum tower, paifang (ornamental archway), and other structures were successively added to the temple, forming the complex we see today.
Wood carving sill window carving Chihu Tuan furnace
The old incense burner in the Fudeye Changqing Templeis an important religious relic that witnesses the belief in the temple
The wall plugs use cement instead of stone carvings, showing the Taiwanese temple builders’ familiarity with cement materials
Painted tiles with hand-drawn patterns fully demonstrate the combination of traditional painting and cross-media craftsmanship
The Taipei area is popular in welcoming famous Mazu temples in central and southern regions such as Beigang Chaotian Temple, and the right side of the Fudeye Changqing Temple enshrines the statues of Mazu from all over the world.
Fudeye Changqing Temple was overhauled in the 11th year of Japan's Showa era. The stone monuments of the donors at that time are preserved in the temple.
The main hall dedicated to the Fude Zhengshen is roughly the same as it was when it was overhauled in 1936.
The precious old photos of the Fudeye Changqing Temple are preserved. The photos show the interaction between the temple (on the right of the photo) and the residents of the settlement. The old trees behind the temple are still standing today.
Fudeye Changqing Temple’s main deity is "Fudeye", and Fudeye is Fude Zhengshen, commonly known as God of the Land.