Guanyin Meditation Hall used to be part of the Sōtō Zen Daihonzai Temple. When the temple was rebuilt in the 3rd year of the Taishō era (1914 CE), Taiwanese monk Sun Hsin-yuan proposed building a hall for the Taiwanese faithful to worship in and hold sermons on the teachings of Buddhist bodhisattva Guanyin (Avalokiteśvara). Sun Hsin-yuan took charge of the planning and construction of the hall. The hall was completed in the 6th year of the Taishō era (1917 CE) and named ""Guanyin Meditation Hall"". After World War II, it was renamed Dongher Temple. Guanyin Meditation Hall has a sanheyuan layout with one hall and two side wings. The main hall enshrines a statue of Gautama Buddha, where all the monks undertake spiritual practices together. The building is constructed in the Chinese architectural style of Taiwan, a departure from the Japanese Buddhist temple architectural style of the Sōtō Zen Daihonzai Temple. The Guanyin Meditation Hall bears witness to the spread of Japanese schools of Buddhism in Taiwan during the Japanese colonial period and the integration of Japanese Buddhism with Taiwanese society and culture.
The stone statue of Jizo Bodhisattva erected outside the Zen hall is very different in style from the original Taiwanese statues. The back is engraved with "Masonry Fuji Original Works". It has been completed in July of Showa 6 (1931) and is still intact.
The plaque hanging above the shrine of the main hall, "Wonde Perfection", was written by Zen Master Yuanfeng, the 67th head of Eiheiji Temple, Damotozong, Japan
Many old photos of the deans (abbots) of other hospitals are hung in the Kaishan Hall
The three bronze statues of Guanyin in the main hall were gifted by the Japanese to Sun Xinyuan, the dean of the courtyard during the Japanese occupation.
Before entering the hall, there is a pair of brow dogs, engraved with "Sendai Arai Taiji Dedication"
The long gall pattern of Kuga Mountain in Yongping Temple
The structural walls of Guanyin Meditation Hall are made of bricks
The dragon pillar in front of the temple is engraved with "Established by Yimao Liqiu in the fourth year of Taisho", which is an ancient artifact that has been passed down for centuries.
A stone lamp symbolizing Japanese garden culture, engraved with the word "Zen" in Japanese