Zhenwen Academy was formerly a temple dedicated to Wenchang Dijun (the God of Culture and Literature). It was built in the 2nd year of Emperor Jiaqing's reign (1797 CE) using donations raised by Liao Cheng-ho (dates of birth and death unknown) and other members of the local gentry. In the 18th year of Emperor Jiaqing's reign (1813 CE), Wang Yu-cheng (dates of birth and death unknown) and other members of Xiluo's local poets' society campaigned to improve education in the area with the enthusiastic support of Liao Cheng-ho. As a result, Zhenwen Academy was founded a year later, and Zhenwen Poetry Society donated a plaque reading ""greatest literati of all time"" to commemorate the event. Zhenwen Academy is located in southeast Xiluo. Since its establishment, the academy has been a gathering place for the local gentry to compose poetry, as well as a place for local students to further their knowledge. It was known as the best school in Xiluo. In addition to acting as an educational institution, Zhenwen Academy was also responsible for upholding social values. Opium addiction was rampant during the late Qing era, so Zhenwen Academy established the Yifu Society—a branch of the Confucian Phoenix Hall religious movement—to help addicts recover. The academy underwent numerous renovations since it was built, almost once every decade. The last big renovation was done in 1999, after the Jiji Earthquake.
There is a century-old well head in the academy, and it was customary to use well water to mix incense ash to detoxify
The main shrine of the main hall worships five Wenchang, Confucius and Cangjie. The "Bai Dai Wen Heng" plaque above the sacrificial space in the main hall was copied in 1983. The original has been damaged and lost.
The roof truss of the main hall is a three-way structure with five melons. The shape of the melon tube is slender and resembles the "papaya tube", which has the characteristics of Xidi style. The supporting wood under the beam is "Aolong", which is a decorative feature of Wenchang Temple or Academy
The incense case was presented by the Yide Branch of the Nantian Xiuwenyuan, and its predecessor was the Yidetang located in the Zhenwenyuan
The decoration of the worship hall has a strong character, whether it is a Leo, Chuandou, or Yuanguang (bend bow), they are all full of decorations.
When the Zhenshuyuan was completed in the Jiaqing period of the Qing Dynasty, the "Qianqiu Shuzu" plaque presented by the Zhenwen Society.
The calligraphy pavilion is a necessary facility for the academy architecture. The top is decorated with imitating dovetail ridges, which is slightly different from other common jingzi pavilions in Taiwan.
The door pillow stone at the right entrance of the gate building, the stone used is Quanzhou white stone from the Guangxu period of the Qing Dynasty
The decorations on the main ridge and the vertical ridge on the gate tower are simple. The dragon on the main ridge is made of clay; the body of the fairy doll on the vertical ridge is made of clay, and the head is made of pottery.