Akashi Motojiro (1864-1919), the 7th Governor-General of Taiwan, was the last of the governors-general with a military background appointed in the early Japanese colonial period. By the time his term ended, the Government-General of Taiwan had gained nearly full control of areas inhabited by Taiwan's indigenous peoples. To prevent another serious indigenous uprising, the Government-General ruled with a carrot-and-stick approach, dramatically increasing police presence while investing in social indoctrination through education and religion. Hanxi Shrine is the product of this social indoctrination policy. Hanxi Shrine was gradually abandoned after World War II, until the main structure collapsed and only remnants of stone lanterns and foundations remained. In the 2000s, local residents voluntarily cleaned up the area and built hiking trails around the shrine remains, transforming the site into what we see today.
The stone lanterns around the main hall are from the Heian Shrine. The square pillar lanterns are common in Taiwan, and the lettering on them has been erased.
On the side of the shrine, there is an "Oath Stele" in front of the shrine. It was erected in the 12th year of Showa (1937). The oath on the stele emphasizes the "social improvement" in the tribe under the Japanese colonial regime.
There are still some relics of Hankei Shrine, but the main shrine has disappeared and the date of destruction is unknown
November of Showa 8 is engraved on the stone tablet, which is the time when Hankei Shrine was built. It is mainly dedicated to the Japanese Amaterasu God and Prince Shirakabagawa Nohisa
Next to the shrine’s worship hall, there is a monument of "The Disappearance of Gun Hunting", which symbolizes that the aborigines gave up the use of firearms and returned to the rule of Japan.
On the way to the main shrine, you will see the remaining stone lantern base, which is a square shape, and the lantern above has been lost
The stone staircase in front of the shrine was supposed to have a torii gate, but it no longer exists
Before entering the remains of Hankei Shrine, there will be a stone sink (hand water house) for people who visit to wash their hands and body.
The predecessor of Hankei Elementary School was Hankei Bando Education Center in the Japanese era, and Hankei Shrine is located on the hillside above it.