The Taikasei Revolt broke out in the 10th year of Yongzheng Emperor's reign in the Qing era (1732 CE). Under the leadership of Lin Wu-li, the Taokas people took up arms against the Qing authorities in a revolt that lasted a year. The revolt caused major casualties for Han Chinese people and plains indigenous peoples alike, and resulted in the Qing government stationing more soldiers in plains indigenous settlements to strengthen control over the indigenous population. Tamsui Sub-Prefect Chang Hung-chang (dates of birth and death unknown) was patrolling villages with civilian soldiers when they were ambushed by Lin Wu-li's forces near Asock tribe. Inhabitants from a nearby Cantonese village rushed to their aid, and 18 Cantonese immigrants perished in the ensuing battle. Their bodies were gathered by fellow villagers and buried outside the city. Their grave, called ""Grave of the 18 Braves"", is what would later become Huaizhong Shrine. After the Taikasei Revolt was quelled, Hao Yu-lin, the Viceroy of Min-Zhe, wrote a report of the incident to the imperial government. Yongzheng Emperor responded by ordering local officials to build a shrine to honor the fallen fighters, which would become Changhua's Huaizhong Shrine. The shrine was destroyed in battles and rebuilt multiple times in the subsequent years. The final renovation before the start of the Japanese colonial period was done in the 7th year of Guangxu Emperor's reign in the Qing era (1881 CE) and formed the temple we see today.
There is a monument to be rebuilt next to the temple, which was erected in 1997
The roof truss structure of the main hall is constructed by stacking buckets, and there is no decorative painting or any shape on the exterior.
There are two tablets for the eighteen righteous people. The small one records the names of the sacrificed righteous people and the time when the temple was built and rebuilt.
The sacrificial space of Huaizhong Shrine, with a plaque "Delivering One's Life for Righteousness" on the top
The "Rongmai Dengying" plaque in the main hall is old, but unfortunately the signature has fallen off, and the actual date cannot be determined.
The bottom of the gable next to the worship hall is made of pebbles as a foundation, and bricks are stacked on top
The surrounding area of Huaizhong Temple is messy, the temple site is in a narrow alley, lack of management and the incense is not full
The gable head by the dragon is decorated with frescoes and Cochin pottery
The roof of Huaizhong Shrine is in the style of Sanchuanji horseback