Established during Emperor Qianlong's reign in the Qing era (1736-1795 CE), the Huji Temple in Madou is dedicated to Matzu of Meizhou. The temple also enshrines Zhusheng Niangniang (the goddess of childbirth) and Fude Zhengshen. At the end of the Ming era, belief in Matzu of Meizhou crossed the strait, turning her into the tutelary deity of settlers in Taiwan. After it was built, Huji temple saw a steady stream of worshipers. By the end of Emperor Qianlong's reign, the area had developed into a bustling market. During Daoguang Emperor's reign in the Qing era (1821-1850 CE), Madou was divided into an upper and lower area, the former around Shangdi Temple and the latter around Huji Temple. Huji Temple can be considered Madou's center of faith. This is the place where Madou's renowned traditional event, Shihba Niao (also known as Incense Offering Procession), originated. In the early days, the event was as famous as Yanshui's Beehive Fireworks Festival, but it was banned during the Japanese colonial era and was not held again until 1998. Rebuilt in 1955, the temple we see today is well over 60 years old.
There are many couplets in the Huji Palace. The couplets in the picture are located in the Sanchuan Hall. They should be quoted from the gold medal of Xieshantang. The date of inscription is 1965 in the Republic of China.
There are fan-shaped frescoes and clay sculptures above the round arches by the dragon in the main hall, works by Chen Zhuanyou
The mural beside the dragon in the main hall is the theme of Chen Yufeng, Chen Shouyi and his son.
There is the Huji Temple in Madou, where the Ksitigarbha Bodhisattva that was originally enshrined in Huji Palace was moved here
The plaque "Zhi Zai Kun Yuan" in the Ming Dynasty in the Sanchuan Hall was dedicated to Huang Daying, Gong Sheng (birth and death year unknown) in the 58th year of Qianlong in the Qing Dynasty (1793)
On the right side of the entrance of the Sanchuan Hall, the figure is decorated with the Jiaozhi pottery of the body block.
The gable on the left side of the front entrance of Sanchuan Hall, the top of which is decorated with Cochin pottery
There are 4 dragon pillars in the Huji Palace, all of which are coated with plaster on the wooden pillars and then shaped. The dragon pillars of the Sanchuan Hall are made by the famous clay sculpture master Shi Lianchi, and the main hall is the work of Chen Zhuanyou
On the right side of the Sanchuan Hall, there is a clay sculpture of "Han Fan Carrying the Temple Corner", with thick eyebrows, big eyes and curly hair.